Traumatic events would be disturbing to anyone. They can involve a single event or a chronic, repetitive series of several events. All of the following would fall under the
category of trauma:
- Childhood sexual or physical abuse
- Natural disasters
- Car accidents
- Witnessing violence or death
- Domestic violence
These are just a few examples of trauma. Trauma is relevant and specific to your individual perception and reaction to an event. What may be small to one person may be large to someone else. If you have experienced trauma you may relate to some of the following:
- It may feel like you are not safe and that you have to be on alert to protect yourself or others.
- You might feel like you can’t rely on anyone because others have let you down and not protected you.
- You could wake up at times feeling like you are right back in the place that you never want to experience again.
- You might experience sensations in your body that are unbearable or you may not feel anything in your body at all.
If you are feeling ruled or haunted by past traumas know that it is possible for you to let go of that inner turmoil and be free.
Photo by: Pink Sherbet Photography http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinksherbet/206812690/